T w o  E a r s

One commoner's attempts to get to grips with the high art of classical music.

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Messiaen: Quartet for the End of Time


Olivier Messiaen: Quatuor pour la fin du temps / Quartet for the end of time (1941;2000)

Performers: GIl Shaham (violin), Paul Meyer (clarinet), Jian Wang (violoncello) and Myung-Whun Chung (piano)

Deutsche Grammophon

Background

Historical context and mythology must be important factors in the popularity of classical works I reckon, given that unlike pop songs, they usually contain no explicit or direct narrative of their own. Without a story of some kind to follow, it's difficult for listeners to attach meaning or to relate personally to the music. Hence the great interest in Beethoven's deafness, Mozart's poverty and Bach's dangerous obsession with monkeys, which far outweighs most people's interest in the actual music of these 'great' composers. Of course, a good story is only really an accompaniment to good music; deafness and poverty aren't much of a draw on their own.

As further evidence of this theory, it was the incredible story behind Messiaen's Quartet for the end of time that made me want to hear it in the first place, and the ghosts that inhabit the work which still give the music, as I hear it, much of its character. I can't help but picture the scene when I listen. Famous classical blogger Alex Ross tells the tale best:

The most ethereally beautiful music of the twentieth century was first heard on a brutally cold January night in 1941, at the Stalag VIIIA prisoner-of-war camp, in Görlitz, Germany. The composer was Olivier Messiaen, the work “Quartet for the End of Time.” Messiaen wrote most of it after being captured as a French soldier during the German invasion of 1940. The première took place in an unheated space in Barrack 27. A fellow-inmate drew up a program in Art Nouveau style, to which an official stamp was affixed: “Stalag VIIIA 49 geprüft [approved].” Sitting in the front row—and shivering along with the prisoners—were the German officers of the camp.

[...]
I was just kidding about Bach by the way.

Music

The Quartet is split into eight movements and Messiaen utilises various configurations to get a variety of sounds that really surprised me. He also seems to have loved rests, changes of direction and crazy interjections. It's difficult to get your head around at first.

At the centre of the Quartet is a piece of music that quite possibly is the most "ethereally beautiful" of the twentieth century. The piece is called "Louange á l'Eternité de Jésus," meaning "Praise for the eternity of Jesus" (Messiaen was a devout Christian and was apparently inspired by his faith in almost everything he did). While the rest of the Quartet is playful, lively and full of variety, the "Louange á l'Eternité de Jésus" is, I think, all about chords. They pulse slowly and beautifully from the piano, while the violin forges sky-trails above. It really is as simple as that, but some of those chord changes are like soft suckerpunches to the stomach. When I first listened to the "Louange", on an old LP through headphones in my university's library, I was rooted to the spot.

I'd like to write more about the music itself, but basically it's beyond me. I'm not well versed in the language of classical music; either in describing it, or in the 'language' of the music itself. And most importantly, after about ten listens, I still don't feel very familiar with the Quartet anyway. No point in hurrying though.


4 Comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't consider historical context and mythology to be all that important, just interesting. I don't know all that much about Bach except that he had 20 children (or 21) and several of them were also composers. When it comes to living composers I actually avoid learning anything about the composers lives because I don't want to add any political baggage to the music.

Some instrumental classical music does have a sort of story, which is sometimes suggested in the title, (The Sorcerer's Apprentice and The Moldau for example) and many times publishers gave pieces titles that had nothing to do with what the composer had in mind (like The Moonlight Sonata) because they thought it might help sell them, but absolute music (pure music, without any story) can be the most compelling emotionally but it does take time to get used to listening to music like that. It's not difficult at all; it just takes attention and patience.

Sorry this was so long and I hope I don't sound too know-it-all but I really get off on this stuff.

Wed Jun 29, 07:22:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog you have. I have a facts about clarinets
related site. Check it out if you get a chance. The URL is facts about clarinets

Sat Oct 22, 03:13:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just heard a matinee performance of the Quartet at a local music conservatory. There are many fine recordings of this music, but there is no substitute for the experience of a live performance, imo. I like what Alex Ross said about the Quartet:

"This is the music of one who expects paradise not only in a single awesome hereafter but also in the happenstance epiphanies of daily life."

Wed Feb 01, 09:25:00 pm  
Blogger Zack Reaves said...

I agree with Spartakus. Nothing compares to a live performance of this piece. I've heard it twice and was blown away each time. The first time I saw it, was performed on June 6th, 2006 (06-06-06). What audacity! I kept wondering if the world was going to collapse around me! In this performance, they actually dimmed all the lights in the hall, lit candles along the stage, and put dark and ominous red, blue, and purple lights on the performers.

As far as the movement you mentioned, I'm much more partial to the movement with just cello and piano. Maybe because the cello has the full range of the human voice and sounds much more like a singer.

Or perhaps it's just because I'm a cellist as well!

Wed May 07, 06:27:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Back to main page